Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Hello European Continent

Hello There,

Sorry for the long delay, but we traveled far and wide yesterday and it was a late night. We left England via ferry out of Dover, saw the white cliffs, and travelled over the English Channel to Calais, France. Back to driving on the right side (correct side ) but into foreign language territory. French, German and Dutch. German is very hard to understand, much more so than French. It sounds like someone clearing their throat, very gutteral.
Drove thru France on our bus to Brussels. Just before the German border we stopped for a much needed bathroom and leg break. Mom has met an Australian couple whom she enjoys and who, along with her have become the rebels of the group. They have already been scolded by our tour guide. They chat so much together that Mom has decided that she needs to learn about Australia, ratther than listening to our tour guide about the countries we are currently in. Case in point. Bathrooms cost money, they are not free. Dont tell her that, she thinks she can just wink her eye at the attendant and not pay, becuase she didnt have money on her. The man spoke to her in German, she didnt understand him, and had to go, so she winked and proceeded into the loo. I had to take care of him, on my turn to the urinal! They laughed about this incident for at least an hour, causing everyone else on the bus to stare or possibly glare, I dunno , I was too busy trying to ignore them and snap photos out of the windows.
Brussels has a beautiful square, where there are 2 palaces and a beautiful church, exquisite architecture, but thats it. I wasnt impressed. It felt like a big city and nothing more.

Rhine River cruise. This I enjoyed. Cold weather on the water, especially up top, but I was prepared. I had a warm sweater, and a coat, along with my winter cap. Many, many castles dot along the top, looking down on the Rhine, some occupied, some not. All interesting. I wish we were able to go inside. We were on the river for about 2 hrs. Then off Hamburg, were we are at now. Early morning tomorrow, we have to be up at 06:00 and onto the bus by 07:30, and off to Lucerne,, more later
ps the Euro is killing us! ITs about 1 to 1:50, so for every hundred i spend its costing me $150.00, yikes,,, we are running out of money fast. We need donations to get home, western union us soon . lol
P.s.s. unedited pictures are up on Flickr, no criticisms, they are unedited! That means you Bill and Sue!

2 comments:

Joanie said...

Thanks Bri, for taking us along with you on your travels. Your descriptions make me feel like I'm there too.

Timmy said...

Hey!!! I miss you guys a lot,, I love the pics! I have been going on the blog and Flickr everyday waiting to see some cool stuff! Call soon if you can,, I love you! same to Gram.
Timmy

P.S.- The Hunt for Gollum was very,very good!!