Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Hobbit Update

The following are excerpts from The Hobbit FAQ from The One Ring.Net. A leading Lord of the Rings Internet site. The usually have the most factual and current news on the Web! These excerpts apply to question asked about the upcoming movie" The Hobbit. I have added my two cents in blue.

1.2. What will be in the second movie?

If The Hobbit does comprise the first film. The second movie will cover some of the events in Middle-earth during the 60 years between the end of The Hobbit, when Bilbo returns to Bag End in the year 2941 of the Third Age, and the Long Expected Party that opens The Fellowship of the Ring, in the year 3001 of the Third Age. According to PJ: “At this stage, we’re not imagining a film that literally covers 60 years, like a bio-pic or documentary. We would figure out what happens during that 60 years, and choose one short section of time to drop in and dramatise for the screen.”
Possible events that could be included:
- Sauron returns to Mordor
- Gollum ventures from the Misty Mountains in search of Bilbo and ends up in Mordor
- Aragorn and Arwen meet
- Aragorn and Gandalf meet
- A young Aragorn leaves Rivendell and travels south to fight for Rohan and Gondor under the alias of Thorongil.
- The Dwarves, led by Balin, re-inhabit Moria.
There has also been mention of taking one character, such as Aragorn or Gandalf, and following their story-line over the 60 year time-frame. Essentially, the film rights include anything from the text or appendices of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. What definitely will not be included in either movie are events or characters from Tolkien’s other works including The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and The History of Middle-earth series.

1.9. How do I get cast as an extra in the movies? This is what I really want to know.

The only way to become an extra in the films is to be *in* New Zealand at the time casting calls go out (and specifically *in* the city in which they need extras on the days announcements are made) and either be a citizen of New Zealand or possess a New Zealand work permit. Calls for extras will occur much the same as they did for LOTR: ads will be published in local papers and broadcast on local radio stations and you will have to be available to work within 24-48 hours. So, unless you’re ready, willing and able to move to New Zealand for two years, happen to be in the right place at the right time and are fully documented to work there, you’re out of luck.
Note: tourist visas to New Zealand are currently valid for 90 days. A number of countries have working holiday visa schemes with New Zealand; they are generally valid for 12 months and allow you to work for up to three months at a time; you also have to be aged between 18 and 30 to be eligible. See Immigration NZ for details. I don't like the sound of this!
If you’re already a professional or semi-professional actor, you should work through your agent and/or contact talent agencies in Wellington. If you’re lucky enough to be a New Zealand citizen or be legally working there, you’re the envy of us all!! Somehow, I will be in this movie, If they can allow Guillermo del Toro to film and work in NZ, for 2 yrs,, they will allow me to be an extra! If need be I will write the NZ Prime Minister!!!!

Important note: If and when TORn hears of casting calls, we’ll post the news immediately on the Home Page of the site. However, no one at TORn can get you cast as an extra in the movie, so emailing us with such requests is, unfortunately, futile. If you’ve read through this entry, you now know as much as we do!

Just another update on my progress. I'm writing everyone and anyone! Rosie O'Donnell, Oprah, and even Roger Ebert. I'm going to start a petition, (maybe I should go online with that,), I'm pretty willing to do whatever it takes. My friend John who lives in California, and works as an EXTRA in movies. He was in Flags of our Fathers and Spider-man to name two. Has been informed of my desire and is on the lookout for any news or any casting calls for me,, I will fly to LA on a moments notice. I have also told my friend Billy, that I will need his services for photo's (face shots), so that I can be prepared at Talent Agencies. I have over a year to prepare.!!!

No comments: